Run, Walk or Crawl,
Fast or Slow does not matter,
It is always better than nothing at all.
Sometimes we get hung up on the idea that a workout has to be long, sweaty and structured in order to be effective. However, keeping your metabolism revved up all day can come in smaller chunks. We’ve all heard the great suggestions of park further away in the parking lot and take the stairs instead of the elevator, but here are a few more ideas about how to simply add more movement to your day:
- Pace for the ten minutes you are waiting for your name to be called at the Dr. Office.
- Going shopping? Even if it is just grocery shopping, take a lap around the perimeter of the store before starting your shopping experience.
- Early for your next appointment, take a quick walk around the block before going into the building.
- Set an alarm on your computer or phone to go off every hour or two and take a walk down the hall or around your floor when it sounds.
- March in place while washing dishes or folding laundry. Add some music and if it causes a few giggles remember that laughing is a great core workout!
- Next time you are running errands, park halfway between two destinations and walk to both.
- Make a new evening tradition of walking around the block after dinner. Take your fur family member with you!! Don’t have a dog of your own, borrow the neighbors.
- Don’t just walk to the end of your driveway when grabbing the mail (or worse sit in the car), use this daily journey out the door to remind you that it is time to walk around the block. Read the mail on the way and you knock out a chore during your walk!
- Instead of meeting a friend for coffee, ask them to the park and catch up over a healthy stroll.
These are just a few ideas. If you have others, please share them in the comments below.