- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (can sub for honey or agave)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter (can sub for almond butter or coconut oil)
- vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, whisked lightly
- 1/4-1/2 cup blueberries
For the protein frosting:
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder (see recommendations above)
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1-2 T nut butter of choice (optional)
- Dairy free milk to form batter
For the coconut butter frosting:
- 4-6 T coconut butter, melted
- 2 T granulated sweetener of choice
- Dairy free milk to thin out
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan or 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla extract and egg/flax egg. Pour into the dry mixture. Add the melted nut butter (and honey and applesauce for paleo option) and mix very well until a batter is formed. Divide the batter in half. In one half, fold through the blueberries.
- Pour the blueberry filled batter to evenly cover the baking tray or loaf pan. Top with the other half of the batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes on clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving or frosting, if desired.
Breakfast cake is freezer friendly- It’s best kept in the refrigerator. If you decide to use the frosting(s), it’s best to keep them separate.
This recipe comes from The Big Man’s World.com