2 cups dry quinoa
2 lbs extra lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
4 medium garlic cloves, crushed
4-5 large handfuls spinach, chopped
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
3 cups light cheddar or mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp thyme, dry
2 tsp basil, dry
Salt & ground black pepper to taste
Green onions and diced tomatoes for garnish (optional)
1. Cook quinoa as per package instructions and undercook by 4 minutes. Add to a large mixing bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 375 F degrees and spray 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Preheat skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add turkey and sautee for 5 minutes breaking into pieces with the spatula. Drain the excess liquid and add to the bowl with quinoa.
4. Return skillet to the heat and spray with cooking spray again. Add garlic and onions, and fry until golden brown. Add spinach and sauté until it’s wilted. Transfer to a bowl with quinoa and turkey.
5. Into the same bowl, add tomato sauce, bread crumbs, 2 cups of cheese, thyme, basil, salt and ground pepper to taste. Mix enough to combine.
6. Transfer the mixture in a baking dish, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake for 25 minutes. Serve immediately, no need to let the casserole cool down.
7. Optional: sprinkle with diced tomatoes, green onions, a dollop of Greek yogurt or salsa.
Storing Instructions: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Freeze divided into individual portions, in an air tight container for up to 1 month.
For this and other great recipes www.ifoodreal.com