- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
- 3 poblano peppers, toasted, seeded, skinned, and cut into strips
- 2 to 3 (32-ounce) cartons low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 ears of corn, husks removed and cut into 2-inch rounds
- 4 medium cooked red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 bunch cilantro, rinsed and chopped
- Juice of 3 limes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- Corn tortillas strips
- Place onion, mushrooms, and bay leaves into a large soup pot. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, until onions brown, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or low-sodium vegetable stock to keep vegetables from sticking.
- Add garlic, peppers, and 1 cup of stock. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until peppers begin to soften.
- Add remaining stock, corn, and potatoes. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until corn is tender.
- Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro, lime juice, and zest immediately before serving.
- Place a handful each of tomatoes, avocados, and tortillas strips into large soup bowls.
- Pour hot soup directly over vegetables and tortillas strips; serve immediately.
This recipe was found at ForksOverKnives.com